Beloit College has published its Mindset List for the class of 2010.
Members of the class of 2010, entering college this fall, were mostly born in 1988. For them: Billy Carter, Lucille Ball, Gilda Radner, Billy Martin, Andy Gibb, and Secretariat have always been dead.
Here are a few of the mindsets:
1. The Soviet Union has never existed and therefore is about as scary as the student union.
7. They have never heard anyone actually “ring it up” on a cash register.
11. A coffee has always taken longer to make than a milkshake.
19. “Google” has always been a verb.
30. Non-denominational mega-churches have always been the fastest growing religious organizations in the U.S.
34. They have always known that “In the criminal justice system the people have been represented by two separate yet equally important groups.”
39. “So” as in “Sooooo New York,” has always been a drawn-out adjective modifying a proper noun, which in turn modifies something else