In American Thinker‘s article on Islamic aparthied, the author lists some of the practical results of the Quran Tabari regarding women:
Here are some rules that keep women in their Muhammad stipulated place.
- If a Muslim woman is murdered, her beneficiary is entitled to one-half dyyeh-blood money, or compensation-as that of a murdered Muslim male.
- A woman’s testimony in the court of law is worth one-half that of a man.
- A woman must provide four witnesses to substantiate her claim of being raped.
- A man can divorce his wife by simply saying to her, “I divorce you,” three times.
- A divorced woman is entitled to a miserly compensation and automatically forfeits her rights to her children.
- Women are barred from the lucrative and powerful cast of clergy.
- Husbands are entitled to punish their wives corporally.
- Men are allowed to have four wives at any one time and as many concubines as they desire and can afford.
- Saudi Arabia, the custodian of “true Islam” imposes a raft of restrictions on women such as: women are not allowed to drive; they are not permitted to leave the country without accompaniment or explicit permission of their male kin; they are barred from most government jobs and much much more.
- Among other Muslims, such as the Taliban and the Pashtoon of Afghanistan-Pakistan region, women are barred from education and not even allowed to leave the house unless accompanied by a male kin.
- Since education, particularly professional education is often denied to women in many Islamic societies. There is scarcity of women physicians and male doctors are often forbidden to treat women patients.
Such is the plight of women under Islam.