The famous 17th Island Hole at TPC Sawgrass in Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, is home to the PGA Tour’s Players Championship, but open to the public the rest of the year. The hole’s surrounding water claims an estimated 125,000 golf balls annually.
“If I hit it right, it’s a slice. If I hit it left, it’s a hook. If I hit it straight, it’s a miracle. –Author Unknown
“The difference between golf and government is that in golf you can’t improve your lie.”
—Former California Governor George Deukmejian
- Eighteen holes of match play will teach you more about your foe than 18 years of dealing with him across a desk.
- Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five.
- It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf.
- If profanity had any influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is.
–Horace G. Hutchinson
- They say golf is like life, but don’t believe them. Golf is more complicated than that.
- If a lot of people gripped a knife and fork as poorly as they do a golf club, they’d starve to death.
–Sam Snead Read more
Here’s a long list of golf facts and observations. I’ve found them to be true:
- Don’t buy a putter until you’ve had a chance to throw it.
- Never try to keep more than 300 separate thoughts in your mind during your swing.
- When your shot has to carry over a water hazard, you can either hit one more club or two more balls.
- If you’re afraid a full shot might reach the green while the foursome ahead of you is still putting out, you have two options: you can immediately shank a lay-up or you can wait until the green is clear and top a ball halfway there.
- The less skilled the player, the more likely he is to share his ideas about your golf swing.
- No matter how bad you are playing, it is always possible to play worse.
- The inevitable result of any golf lesson is the instant elimination of the one critical unconscious motion that allowed you to compensate for all of your many other errors. If it ain’t broke, try changing your grip.
- Everyone replaces his divot after a perfect approach shot. Read more